Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Night Before

Things have finally fallen into place.
There is a hospital bed waiting quietly in my Dad's room.
There is something called a Hoyer lift taking up space in the living room.
(Its a big medal thing on wheels with a sling. You wrap the sling around the patient... attach it to the lift... crank the lift... and it raises the patient out of the bed and onto a chair... sort of like those games you can play at the boardwalk when you try to push the buttons and use a crane to catch an MP3 player or a stuffed moose and move it to the dispenser to win a prize... although the Hoyer lift is much safer...)
There are 2 wheel chairs as well... a common one and a reclining one.
We have bed pads (pieces of sturdy fabric which lie on the bed... you can use them to turn the patient to the right or the left... or to slide the patient further up the bed)
there are mouth swabs to clean his mouth
several creams and ointments for his skin
a new set of wash clothes for cleaning up
and even
some leftover pasta from tonights meal that we plan to puree and serve to my dad
tomorrow.
He arrives tomorrow at about 4pm
After tomorrow I plan on posting every day however
the posts may be quite short.
The real reason for the blog begins tomorrow.

I feel strange... there has been so much limbo
so many delays
I have almost no feeling about it

I know my life will change
and I know that I can't really predict
how it will go

I hope I can do it

No comments:

Post a Comment