Tuesday, October 26, 2010

day 15 fun things

One of the most enjoyable parts of my day has become the "Hoyer Lifting"
this is a Hoyer Lift:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ae/Hoyer_lift_rear.JPG

At first its an impossible contraption seemingly extremely dangerous and way to big to put in a bedroom.
However once you learn how to use it... it becomes
a fun experience for both the lifter and the liftee and way to big to put in a bedroom.
My dad loves it.

After breakfast (and a short nap which usually begins sometime during breakfast)
I maneuver dad so that he is lying properly atop the sling.
This is a piece of fabric shaped like a big I. The top of the I lays under his shoulders and the bottom beneath his knees.

Then two sets of chains are attached to both sides of the sling and then to the "hanger" hanging from the lift.

I then have to pump the handle and (here's the fun part)
Dad rises into the air... the sling becomes a seat and I roll the lift. My dad floats over the bed... and gently alights upon his wheelchair.

Not one complaint! In fact he loves it... has a lot of fun in the air. My mom and me are the nervous ones.

While being lifted today... he kept stretching out his feet and trying to tickle me with his toes... and after being placed on the chair he kissed my mom 4 times in rapid succession.

You see... there are some hidden joys here!

I began my first on line course today... Ill describe it more when I understand it better!

No comments:

Post a Comment