Friday, January 14, 2011

Today our water heater stopped functioning.
I became extremely angry.
You might too if you smelled bad... felt dirty and greasy... had somewhere to go in a few hours... and were looking forward to a nice warm long bath.
I filled the tub
got naked
and climbed in
only to scream at the top of my lungs
upsetting my mother tremendously.

I trudged downstairs
took a look at the thing
but I am not one of those kind of men
so I immediately called my brother in law
who couldn't really help me on the phone.
I found a number for the company we bought it from on it
called them
and received a bullshit story
about how they could do nothing
until we told them if there was a "volt" reading
(for which we would have to hire an electrician"
I almost lied and said
We tried. There is no volt reading....
instead I hung up (still angry)
I told my mom how angry I was

she began to cry
why? what is it?

she said
Your father would have known what to do"

i felt so small
so ridiculous
i cried too

why do i get so angry?

I went back down stairs
unscrewed some screws
looked under some plastic
and found a wire which had been burned to a crisp
it was just a pile of dust
where a wire used to be
like whats left after a Dialek exterminates a person

I called the company back
got a new cool guy with a British accent
told him what I'd discovered
he said
"jolly smart looking under there. It saved you paying for an electrician"

turns out we have a lifetime warranty on the heater
so we paid nothing
we are getting the new part tomorrow


and Ill immediately call my brother in law to install it!

but it was nice to know that I can figure stuff out too

3 comments:

  1. I gotta hand it to you, most people would just lose their cool after that phone call from the company. You took over the situation quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heeh, I agree with Selene. It's great that you didn't let trouble affect you; instead, you conquered the problem, and you handled it pretty well. How is it now, BTW?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dwane- water heater has been great. My brother in law did almost electrocute himself when installing the new control box. Now, what we have is a snake living somewhere in our basement. I've found two new molted skins lying around.

    ReplyDelete