Monday, August 16, 2010

Mother

My mother has been acting depressed lately.
She sits in front of the television.
She begins a new project but minutes later she leaves it undone and returns to the TV.
Her common complaint is,
"There's never anything on."

Since I returned home I think her depression has improved.
A 42 year old returning to live with his parents isn't an easy fit.
My father hasn't even come into the picture yet but I already feel that in some ways I am taking care of my mother as well.
She likes that I have come back... and in many ways I do as well. I love it here. The small jungle... the closeness to my family... the beach is not so far away...
But a change has occurred. A change that all of us with aging parents get hit with at one time or another.
My parents are becoming my children.
With my father it is understandable. He has a debilitating disease. He cannot function without the aid of other people.
My mother however...
Since my return not a day goes by without my mother asking for my decision on something.

Should I buy a new car?
Should I go to the store?
Should I get more money out of the bank?

I feel very uncomfortable giving my mother answers.
I hedge... and when I do she gets angry at me.

A friend of mine told me.
"Whenever your mother asks you questions like this... just say 'beats me.' But make sure you say it in different ways"
(in a light voice with a confused expression) "Beats me"
(After a moment of deep thought) "Beats me"
(with a note of embarrassment for letting her down) "Beats me, ma"

So a week later I put it to the test.
We were having plumbing problems and a plumber arrived to fix them.
He was working in the basement (my mother watched television)

She asked me
"How much will it be?"
"Beats me."
"How long will it take?"
"Beats me."
"Does he take checks?"
"Beats me."
"Well, go and ask him!"

No comments:

Post a Comment