Monday, August 30, 2010

my Dad's brain pain

I think ... when my father is experiencing constipation... (which he has had a few really vicious cases of lately)... that he is more aware.
Most days will pass in something like this manner:

Me: Hi Dad.
Dad: Who are you?
Me: It's your son, Kevin.
Dad: My son?!

But when constipation pain occurs here is how it goes:

Me: Hi Dad.
Dad : Kevin I haveto go to the bathroom!

It's so strange because my first reaction isn't...
"Oh, I should help my Dad get on the toilet."
but
"Hey! He remembers my name! He knows who I am."

The other day when I and 2 nurses helped him onto the toilet (it is a feat and could maybe be a successful act in some strange senior citizen cirque de toilet... et as in "ay")
he sat on the toilet doing his thing but
at the same time he flirted with one of the nurses.
I swear to god
he actually (while ON the toilet, remember)
looked at the poor girl
pointed with his finger at her... then at himself... then at her again
whispered 'me an you"
kissed his own palm
blew that kiss gently in her direction
and winked!

It was weird

I've never felt such a mixture of embarrassed... sweet... and a little disgusted

My sister seems to think that my dad becomes more aware
and then realizes he has to go
and then says my name

but I really think the pain
focuses him somehow.

I don't know much and should know more about this disease
but I do know that
Alzheimer patients cannot attain memory directly

so if asked a question
"Where were you yesterday"
They can't necessarily think back to yesterday and find the answer.

However... they can... and do connect with memories indirectly...
so that a person's face... or a song
might call up an obscure memory from years before

the memories are all still there... but the mechanism to get to them is no longer working in a logical way.
And I think the pain
increases my dad's ability
to get to the memories he needs at the moment.
Somehow the pain is like a spare tire
its not perfect
but it allows him to move better
through his memories.

And although it can be painful for him
I also love those moments
because Dad seems much more Dad than usual.

Why is life full of that stuff?
Pain and joy together...

No comments:

Post a Comment